In this video I show how I blended real sounding horns with a not-so-real sounding synth horn patch to create something new and interesting.
Quick tip for how to check if your vocals are balanced at the right level within a mix. If you turn it almost all the way down and the last thing you hear is ONLY the vocal then your vocal MIGHT be too loud. However if you turn it almost all the way down and the last thing you hear is something louder than the vocal, then your vocal MIGHT be too quiet in the mix.
Many teenager's listen to music with a passion that most of us lose as we get older. Let's see if we can get some of that back but also take time to analyze what is making us have physical reactions to certain music. Music is magic! Let's figure out how the tricks are done!
In Part 1 I talked about ways to play and record an instrument that you might not know very well. In this video I'll show you how I took that approach and used it to create a fresh sounding guitar part (without using much actual guitar playing at all)! The point of this is to inspire you to try recording other instruments in simple ways that can result in sounds which not many others would ever think to try.
Not every self-producing artist is a multi-instrumentalist and you don't need to be! Here is one way you can approach playing an instrument that can result in fresh sounding ideas on your next recording. (In Part 2 I'll show you how this one-note-at-a-time technique can sound in a song.)
Challenge Rules and Guides:
- Pick one room/location (ie- bathroom, your car, shed, etc) and find as many unique sounds as you can. Record them, import the audio into your DAW of choice, chop up the usable audio clips and arrange them on different tracks.
- Create a beat or song using those sounds as a primary element. You can choose to make the beat or song as simple or complex as you want. It could be instrumental or it could have vocals. It doesn't need to ONLY be those sounds from your chosen location (you could choose add guitars, vocals, piano if you'd like) but I want the sounds you've found to be a featured element in the recording you share.
- The goal is to be as creative as possible and be as unique as possible. Find music in your surroundings and use the limitations of your current skillset as an advantage.
- Due by 10pm (PST), Sunday, June 9th.
- SUBMISSION LINK: https://forms.gle/kWzGCWTFhxtqQzZG7
- The week following the deadline I will post a video of the challenge winners and honorable mentions.
If you'd like to join our newsletter, just add your name and email here. We LOVE giving value to other like-minded producers and songwriters, and we will never sell your email address to the evil empires. 💚